Σάββατο 20 Ιουλίου 2013

IDIOM OF THE DAY {EXPECT}

IDIOM OF THE DAY   {EXPECT}

1 'Expect me when you see me'

[I’m not sure when I’m coming back]
‘Expect me when you see me, Mum,’ Pete said as he walked out of the door.
*The person who is staying behind may say: ‘We’ll expect you when we see you,’ meaning that the person leaving may return whenever he or she wants.

2 'I expect'

[Used to state that you think a statement is probably correct or true]
‘I expect you’ll be back late tonight, as usual.’

3 'What do (or can) you expect?'

[Used for emphasis to show that you are not surprised by something, especially something disappointing]
‘No wonder you’re ill. You’ve been working too hard recently and haven’t had any time off. What (else) can you expect?’


taken from the GLOBAL ELT ENGLISH IDIOMS DICTIONARY

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου