Παρασκευή 30 Αυγούστου 2013

IDIOM OF THE DAY - {HAVE}

  • IDIOM OF THE DAY -     {HAVE}

    1 '... had better ...'
    [(Someone) ought to (do something)]
    ‘I’d better check that I’ve locked all the doors before I go out.’ / ‘You’d better not go there this evening—/ think he’ll be busy.’ *Sometimes used as a threat: ‘I’ll pay you back on Friday.’ ‘You’d better!’ / ‘I promise I’ll return the car.’ ‘You better had!’

    2 'Have ..., will ...'

    [An expression used to show a willingness or ability (to do something, especially go somewhere), because you have (something)]
    ‘“Have car, will travel” as the saying goes—so we’ve been to Scotland for the week-end!’

    3 'I have and I haven’t'

    [An ambiguous, rather defensive, reply to a question, showing that the speaker has partly done or undertaken something, and often used when the speaker purposely does not want to be clear]
    ‘Have you spoken to Mr Smith about a pay rise?’ ‘I have and 1 haven’t; not directly, yet, but I promise to tomorrow.’ / ‘Have you got any work for me to mark?’ ‘Well, I have and I haven’t.’

    4 'I wouldn’t have it if you gave it to (or paid) me!'

    [I’m not accepting what you’re offering]
    ‘That car of yours is so old, I wouldn’t have it if you gave it to me!’

    5 'I’m (he’s/she’s) not having it'

    [I’m (he/she is) not tolerating something]
    ‘I tell you, I don’t want any of that kind of nonsense going on in my house. I’m just not having it.’

    6 'Let’s be having you'

    [A firm request to move somewhere quickly: used by attendants at a public place, foremen to workers, and supposedly by policemen]
    ‘Come along now, let’s be having you, please!’ r ‘Ladies and gentlemen, let’s be having you: the museum closes in ten minutes.’

    7 'What have you'

    [Other similar people, things, etc.]
    On sale at the jumble sale were clothes, toys, bric-a-brac and what have you.

    8 'You shouldn’t have'

    [It is very kind of you: used in accepting a gift]
    ‘Auntie, we’ve brought you some flowers, and all the family hope you’ll get better soon.’ ‘Oh, you shouldn’t have! Aren’t they lovely!’

    taken from the GLOBAL ELT ENGLISH IDIOMS DICTIONARY

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου