Πέμπτη 17 Οκτωβρίου 2013

PHRASAL VERBS : TAKE



Phrasal Verbs with TAKE

1. be taken aback
to be shocked
- I’d been taken aback by his behaviour at first, but it didn’t seem so shocking later on.
2. take after somebody
resemble a parent (looks or behaviour)
- I take after my mother; I have the same hair colour and the same green eyes. Who do you take after?

3. take away
remove something from somebody / subtract (mathematics)/ carry food home from a restaurant
- Dad! Josh wants to take away my doll. Come and help me!
- If you have five apples and take away two, you’re left with three.
A sandwich and a large Coke to take away, please.

4. take away from something
make the value of something seem less
- The fact that she’d cheated in the exam took away from her achievements.
5. take something apart
to disassemble
- I think you should take the keyboard apart to clean it properly.

6. take something back
to say that you don’t really mean what you’ve said or written
- Okay, okay, I’ll take it back. You’re not the worst singer I’ve ever heard.

7. take down
separate the pieces of a structure / write down
- We’ll have to take down the cupboard if we want to paint the walls.
- My colleague will show you the flat while I take down your personal details.

8. take for something
to regard as
- I don’t like being taken for an idiot.
- I won’t take no for an answer.

9. take in
give home to somebody / notice, absorb (and understand) / make clothes tighter/ to deceive
- Last week I took in a kitten and she’s already the queen of the house.
– I took in every word he said. It was an amazing speech. – I’ll have this dress taken in at the waist, it’s too big.
- I’m easily taken in, so please don’t lie to me.

10. take off
remove clothing / remove hair (at the hairdresser’s) / airplane begins to fly/ to leave/ to become successful
- You don’t have to take off your shoes, just go right ahead.
– Can you take off just a little at the back, please?
- The plane took off twenty minutes late, but landed on time.
- They took off in the middle of the party.
- My career took off immediately after I’d graduated.

11. take on
accept a job, responsibility / to employ, hire somebody
- I can’t take on any extra work, I’m too busy. – They want to take on ten more assistants.
12. take over
gain control
- You can stop now, I’ll take over from here. – Unfortunately, my company was taken over by a multinational firm and I lost my job.
13. take out
invite and go out with someone (to a restaurant, theatre, disco etc) / to obtain some service/ get money from your bank account/ to kill somebody
- George is taking me out to dinner tonight. – I had to take out a loan to start my business. – Let’s stop at the ATM. I need to take out some money.
- The serial killer was taken out by snipers.

14. take (it) out on somebody
make someone feel bad, because you are feeling bad too
- Hey, I understand that you’ve had a horrible day, but don’t take it out on me.

15. take somebody through something
to explain something in detail to somebody
- I hope the instructions were clear. I can take you through it again if you want.

16. take to
to start liking/ to make a habit
- I’d been worried whether my dog would get on well with the new puppy. I shouldn’t have worried- he took to it immediately.
- I’ve taken to drinking my coffee black- I’d like to lose weight.

17. take up
start a new sport, hobby, school subject / fill space (or time)/ start again, resume
- When I’m fluent in English, I’ll take up Spanish lessons. – This cupboard takes up too much space, I don’t want it in my living-room.
- We took up where we had left off.

18. take somebody up on something
accept an offer
- You’re always welcome to stay with us when you’re in Paris. – Thank you, I’ll take you up on that the next time I come to France.

19. take something up with somebody
mention something in order to seek help from somebody
- Why don’t you take the matter up with your local MP (Member of Parliament)? I’m sure he or she could help.
FROM:http://www.myenglishteacher.eu

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου