Πέμπτη 26 Μαρτίου 2015

SLEEP VOCABULARY

oxfordjunior.co.uk



I'm really not a morning person. I always wake up at the very last minute. I usually have just  enough time to shower, dress, and eat breakfast. What do you do for approximately 33% of your life? SLEEP! In this note you will learn English vocabulary to discuss sleep.

Vocabulary
wake up
Meaning: arise from sleeping, awaken, become conscious
Example: I woke up at 7am this morning.

take a nap
Meaning: sleep for a short time during, usually during the middle of the day
Example: My friend Emma takes a nap every afternoon.

go to sleep/fall asleep
Meaning: change from a waking to a sleeping state
Example: Last night I went to sleep at 10pm.

sleep in
Meaning: Sleep later than usual/normal
Example: I am so excited that I get to sleep in tomorrow.

stay up late
Meaning: not go to bed at normal time, go to bed later than usual
Example: I stayed up late last night. I was busy working online and couldn’t go to bed earlier.

oversleep
Meaning: to sleep longer or later than you planned/intended
Example: I missed my ride this morning because I overslept.

Types of sleep- You can describe the way someone sleeps in the following terms.

deep sleep
Meaning: profound sleep (or slow wave sleep), people have trouble awakening
Example: I was in such a deep sleep; I didn't even hear my alarm go off.

heavy sleeper
Meaning: someone who does not awake easily, even to loud noises
Example: My grandpa is a heavy sleeper. He doesn't even wake up when we play loud music.

restless sleep
Meaning: moves a lot while sleeping, never still while sleeping
Example: My husband moves around the bed all night long. He is a restless sleeper.

light sleeper
Meaning: is easily woken up by any small sound
Example: Emily is a light sleeper. If she hears any noises, she wakes up right away.

Other words and phrases to help you talk about sleep in English:

snooze button
Meaning: large button on alarm clock, if you press it the alarm will go off again 10 minutes later (So you can sleep for 10 more minutes.)
Example: I hit the snooze button four times this morning.

white noise
Meaning: Noise containing many frequencies with equal intensities; like a fan or rain
Example: I can’t sleep without white noise.

bedtime
Meaning: the usual or normal time someone goes to bed
Example: The kid’s bedtime is 8pm.

at the crack of dawn
Meaning: sunrise, at the first day’s light
Example: My husband gets up at the crack of dawn to go to work.

sleep like a baby
Meaning: sleep well, sleep like a baby
Example: I was so tired last night; I slept like a baby.

dream
Meaning: A series of thoughts and images occurring in a person’s mind during sleep
Example: My daughter dreamed she was a bird.

nightmare
Meaning: a frightening or bad dream
Example: My son wakes up screaming from nightmares almost every night

morning person
Meaning: a person that likes to wake up early, feels energetic and is happy
Example: My mom is a morning person. She loves getting up early.

night owl
Meaning: a person who finds it easy to stay up late at night; a person who is active and energetic at night
Example: My boyfriend is a night owl. He never goes to bed before 2am.

sleep together/sleep with
Meaning: have sexual relations, to be sexual partners
Example: I slept with the girl I met at the bar last night.

Listen to this audio file where Akane talks about how she can sleep anywhere.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου